While working through all that is cool and new in Dynamics CRM 2013 I discovered an issue with security roles, specifically around access to cases. I believe this will be addressed soon, but for now here’s the issue and the resolution.
This was testing an upgrade 2011-2013 scenario.
User- Joy has a custom role, included in that roll is full access to cases and the associated records.
However, after upgrade she tried to access Case records and got this
Adding the OOB CSR role to her user did the trick, but after some digging we found this to be the culprit, she needed READ access to Process Configuration. There is a default process for Cases that was looking for this permission.
This is obviously not intentional, it’s just one of those things that fell through the cracks. You can find the setting under the Customization tab of your CRM security role editor.