Colorado Springs is moving up! Thanks to new to our community volunteer Gabriel Villa we have our first (annual?) Give Camp scheduled for Martin Luther King, Jr. weekend, January 14-16, 2011.
What is a Give Camp? It’s a weekend where developers, of all shapes, sizes and skillsets, come together in the name of giving back by developing software for charities. We need developers, designers, business analysts, project managers, DBAs. If you play a role in the software lifecycle, I’m talking to you. (really different skill sets, I’m looking to make at least one CRM-to-xRM solution that weekend myself)
For a local charity it’s a chance to get a smallish but important software project done and implemented in a weekend by a group of qualified professionals.
For sponsors, it’s an opportunity to make a small contribution with a huge impact. We have national sponsors like Microsoft, Discount ASP.NET and Infragistics and local sponsors like my company is donating space for the weekend event.
What do we need from you?
- Spread the word, tweet, blog, like us on Facebook.
- Donate your time, that weekend and/or in advance to evaluate the charities/projects and do some requirements gathering.
- Donate some money (or the equivalent, we need food) for the weekend’s expenses. There won’t be many, mostly food/coffee/soda for the folks sweating and makin’ software.
- Contact local charities, send them our way, we want to help them.
- Work on your own local give camp www.givecamp.org .